A day out at Taronga Zoo is the perfect way to keep the entire family entertained on your next trip to Sydney.
Taronga Zoo is famous around the world for its large animal enclosures – visitors can see over 4,000 animals from over 350 species – thrilling live shows, informative keeper talks, animal interactions and its range of special events and concerts. Nestled high on the banks of Mosman and overlooking spectacular Sydney Harbour, the animals won’t be the only thing to keep you reaching for your camera.
Recommendations from the Potts Point team – What you must see at Taronga Zoo:
- The Seal Show: Perhaps the most popular attraction at Taronga Zoo, the daily Seal Show gives visitors a chance to see Californian Sea-lions, Australian Sea-lions and a New Zealand Fur-seal show off their natural abilities, including catching fish, climbing and diving. A definite crowd pleaser for young and old alike, this amazing show is a must-see for all Taronga visitors.
- QBE Free Flight Bird Show: Set against the beautiful backdrop of Sydney Harbour, the Free Flight Bird Show displays the unique talents of many bird species (including native galahs and cockatoos), all in one magical showcase. The star of the show is a beautiful Andean Condor whose three-meter wingspan is a sight to behold.
- Animal Encounters: Available daily at a small fee, visitors to Taronga can get up close and personal with a koala, feed a giraffe, make friends with a reptile, spend some time with the penguins or have a close encounter with an owl. Bookings are essential and places are limited. Click here to find out more.
- Twlight at Taronga: The fun doesn’t stop when the sun goes down. The Twilight at Taronga concert series (taking place each Friday and Saturday night from late January to March) celebrates summer in Sydney with a range of acclaimed performances from Australian and International bands and singers. Pack a picnic, enjoy a drink from the onsite bar and settle in for an evening of great music under the stars. Click here for the current Twilight at Taronga performance schedule.
- Elephants, Bears and Lions, oh my!: With over 350 species of animals living at Taronga Zoo, there’s no shortage of opportunities to get up close to some of the most majestic, elusive and rare species living today. You’ll need a full day to properly see all the animals at Taronga Zoo, so be sure to download a zoo map and leave yourself enough time to comfortably navigate each animal habitat.
The easiest way to get to Taronga Zoo is by public transport. The trip is just 12 minutes by ferry from Circular Quay or via a short bus trip from the city. Plus you’ll have access to discounts with combined public transport and zoo entry tickets.
Allow a full day for your trip including transportation. The best way to get to Taronga Zoo from Holiday Inn Potts Point is to catch the train to Martin Place and walk 10 minutes to Circular Quay to catch the ferry.
For an absolutely unbeatable view of Sydney Harbour, the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House, a ride on the zoo’s Sky Safari is a must. You’ll hop onto a suspended gondola and be craned up the hills of Mosman to enjoy a 360 degree view of the harbour, Mosman and the entire zoo grounds. If heights are not your favourite thing, you can hop aboard a dedicated zoo bus to be transported up to the main zoo entrance, or enjoy the leisurely walk (and lots of photo opportunities) up the hillside. Both the Sky Safari and the Zoo bus are accessible from the Taronga Zoo ferry wharf.
What to bring with you to Taronga Zoo:
- Bottle of water
- Hat and sunscreen (slip, slop, slap)
- A camera
- Take lunch to ensure you have something delicious and nutrious to eat on your visit. Food stalls and restaurants are also onsite
- Collect a zoo map from reception at Holiday Inn Potts Point, or from the zoo entrance
Stay and Explore
After your day at the zoo, you can come back and relax in the comfort and privacy of your guestroom at Holiday Inn Potts Point. Enjoy up to 25% off your room when you stay two nights or more with us, giving you extra time to enjoy all that Sydney has to offer.
If you’re travelling with family or simply want a bit more space to stretch out, consider one of our interconnecting rooms or larger suites. Kids under 12 also Stay and Eat free at Holiday Inn Potts Point. To ensure a memorable trip for your little ones, all children will receive a Kids Welcome Pack with a travel journal and postcard, perfect for recording all their memories of the zoo and their trip to Sydney.